Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Shared Room for My Girls

Over the last few months, we've been transitioning our 2 year old into her older sister's room. It's gone pretty well......we still have the occasional craziness trying to get them to bed at night, but what can you expect when a 2yr old and 4 yr old get together? Some nights it's frustrating and other nights it is hilarious, for instance the other night we watched them on the monitor as they stood at the ends of their beds (stages, of course) and belted out 'This Girl is on Fiyaaahhhhhhh!". We got so tickled and its times like those when I know we did the right thing putting them in the same room. I love to see them making memories and growing their sisterly bond, it is so sweet.

Another fun part about them sharing a room, is I got to do a little re-decorating!! 
I tried to take some photos this morning because the room was actually clean and wouldn't you know my dang camera would not cooperate. So some of these photos are from my camera and some are from the trusty ole phone. 




 We found beds that were similar in size but a little different in design and painted them a light aqua blue. I love the fact that they don't match exactly! The cloud mobiles are from my Bug & Bell line and I made the silhouettes - one for each of my girls . The bedding is from Serena & Lily. I love the silver nightstand, one of my interior designer friends gave it to me last time I visited her in Houston (how awesome is that?!). I believe it's from Arteriors.



 On the wall directly across from the beds I put a small bookshelf and a dresser (my great-grandmother's old dresser - repainted), and pinned up gigantic black and white photos of my little taters. I got them printed on regular paper at FedEx/Kinko's and it was so cheap! The floral suitcase holds all of their baby-doll clothes. And I made the bunting with scrap fabric from my sewing room. 

Since the lens on my camera decided not to cooperate, the only way I could get photos of the whole room was to use my phone.....so here is one side:


And here the other...


Here you can see the bookcase and the chair that I slip covered a few weeks ago..here is the post on that. I was really stumped on what to put above the chair, I didn't want it to compete with the black and white photos. But it looked really bare, so I hung a few prints and some of Cella's artwork.

I wish I could just do a total transformation in a week, but budget and time and 2 girlies will not allow that. So I spend weeks/months pondering design ideas, hunting for the perfect pieces (for a bargain of course) and carving out little bits of time to get things done when the girls are at school or a grandparent's house. I also enlist the help of my hubby to fix things, paint things, move things, etc..... he is very handy like that. :)

So for now, it's done and I'm happy with it. The girls love it too, so I think it's time to move on to the Nursery!

4 comments:

  1. Very cute Kasey! I love the beds. And I know your girls will love sharing the room(some days). They are such a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the big versions of the photographs of the girls, such a great way of covering the wall and making it very personal, the slightly different beds are great too
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Helen! I've been reading through your blog, and just love all the photos of the U.K, especially now that I'm obsessed with Downton Abbey!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover