Sunday, March 25, 2012

Upcycled Circus Shirt

Or recycled circus shirt.......you can call it what you like, but basically I made a new shirt for Cella from one of my old paint-stained skirts. One of my favorite things to do is make new clothing out of old clothing - the fabric is free and it follows one of my favorite mottos ~ "Reduce, Re-use, Recycle!" 

skirt before

That is a photo of the skirt above. I really did like this skirt. It was comfy and cute, but I spilled paint on myself while wearing it so it was banished to the re-use clothing bin.  After seeing the most adorable circus fabric at Joann's (or maybe Hancocks, I can't remember) I had an idea and this was the result:




First, I cut the skirt down to Cella's size by taking in the sides and trimming off the bottom (where the paint  was). An easy way to do this is to use one of your child's shirts as a guide when you are deciding how much to trim off of the sides. Then I cut out a few of the characters from the circus fabric and sewed them to the new shirt. On the front, an elephant, and on the back a cheerful clown and cute little monkey peeking out from the bottom of the shirt! I added blue bias tape to the bottom to give it some fullness and then braided some of the leftover fabric to form the straps.  

Not too bad for an almost free shirt!

1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover