Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Mermaid Costume

My big girl turned 3 today, and I've been working hard on her present, a mermaid costume. This years theme is "Under the Sea" (as in Ariel from The Little Mermaid). This child LOVES to dress up. I put that in caps because seriously, she wears a costume or accessories anytime we leave the house. And I don't fight it, because honestly if I could wear a costume everyday I would too.

The complete Mermaid ensemble - skirt, crown, and top.

I didn't use a pattern, I just sketched it out and made it up as I went along. For the skirt I made scallops out of the tulle (using this tutorial) and attached it to an underskirt of green broadcloth so it would feel good on her skin. The bottom part of the skirt was stuffed with tulle scraps and painted with green glitter fabric paint.

up close skirt
 Instead of making a bikini top (like the one Ariel wears), I created my own version.
(Those of you who know me well, know I would never put my 3 yr old in a hoochie crop top.) I bought a tank top from Walmart and added ruffles made out of old onesies. I dyed them pink because Cella loves some pink, and then added a felt starfish on the shoulder for some extra pizzaz.

I was actually a little nervous when she was opening her presents, for a moment I thought she might not like it. Thank fully that was not the case. She was so excited she started taking off her clothes on the spot so she could put it on right away.  
This is one of the few pictures I got of the whole outfit, but she wore it for the rest of the day. And tonight when I was putting her to bed, she said mama "thank you for sewing this skirt for me." 

 I would sew anything for that baby girl.


2 comments:

  1. I love this story - great costume and great reward for mama at the end of the day. Nothing like getting really good kudos from my baby girl, so I know how it feels. I like your hoochie-free solution to the crop top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! My 5 year old wants to be a mermaid for Halloween so we've set out on ideas. I really like your shirt idea! We may make one similar! We got a purple tank top and ruffled it all the way down (I do NOT put my daughter in crop tops, bikinis, etc. either). Great job, and thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover